– Two years ago, the new CEO introduced a new strategy: out-innovate and out-execute competitors. This needed they had to break down some walls.
– Goals for a new intranet: more collaboration, better innovation, reflect the young and talented culture, and embrace social media.
– The new intranet – totally open, user generated content, edit anything. They use Jive Software.
– Melissa gave a live demonstration of their Intranet.
– … The home page aggregates blog posts, news, discussion areas, key tags, and more.
– … The new intranet is really good for collaboration. People can join different groups – personal and business.
– … Some of the groups have enabled people to try things out – how to work on a document together – and then use those skills in other areas.
– … The IT Group ran an ideation session in Jive, and the winners got 2 days away from their day-to-day jobs to make it happen. Then the business voted again.
– … Trying to do things to keep the Intranet fun.
– The results?
– … Relationships that started as non-work / personal things on the Intranet (eg., in communities, sharing of common interests), flowed across to discussions about work.
– … People were more involved across the business. They knew what was going on.
– What have we learnt?
– … It can be done.
– … The uncontrollable can be controlled. People have their real names on posts, etc.
– … Trust and respect goes both ways.
– … A social intranet is just another communications tool.
Categories: Tools & Technologies