The People Part of Enterprise Collaboration and Virtual Teams
- The NHS is kicking off an early adopter programme for its new SharePoint 2007 and Office 2007 deployment. “The Knowledge Worker Tools (KWT) project is part of the NHS CUI Programme. Our aim is to enable improved personal productivity, team work, and effective decision making by connecting the NHS worker with people, processes, information and expertise. The project is based around the 2007 Microsoft Office system and Office SharePoint Server 2007, for which client licences are available to NHS organisations in England as part of the 2007 NHS Enterprise Agreement.“
- As a result of applying RSS technology to enhance business processes, Wallem saved $400 million a year. “In two extremely important and obvious areas of expense, Wallem was able to deliver an 8% fuel oil savings for each of its 329 ships under management. That 8% translated to $394,800,000 annual savings. And they were able to save 6% of each ship’s annual lube oil expenditures – generating another $11,844,000 in savings annually.“
The Technology Trends of Enterprise Collaboration and Virtual Teams
- Clarizen released Version 2.1 of its hosted project management service. New features: “Full support of Firefox 2.X, Email users can now also submit a Note with their progress update, Fully loaded Reporting capabilities, Advanced filtering across the different grids, Budget calculations with hourly user rates, Critical path indicator and Importance field, and Lead/Lag time enabled for dependencies.” Available immediately.
- Areas where companies are looking to experts for help with SharePoint: (1) building the conceptual structure of how to use SharePoint for collaboration, (2) getting document management set up right, (3) My Site for personal dashboarding, and (4) governance strategy.
- As people and companies diverge the locations where collaboration happens, a tool is needed to bring it all back together again. “Your in-box is a catalyst for productivity. Even if you move all of your collaboration to other tools, there still needs to be a prompt, a push, a tickle, an alert … something that draws you into the collaboration. For as much as this industry has driven towards contextual collaboration — and I believe that Notes 8 delivers on that far better than any other tool in the market — it is still the ultimate challenge to draw users into the collaborative realm.“
- ScheduleOnce added a new meeting scheduling option, the single time meeting. The person setting up the meeting can schedule the meeting across up to 10 different time zones.
- SightSpeed announced a partnership with Dell, for pre-installation of the SightSpeed video conferencing software on new Dell Studio laptops. “Video chat is gaining acceptance as a great way to stay in touch with friends and family across the country or the globe. SightSpeed has been widely recognized by the industry for delivering best-in class video chat capability that works across multiple platforms including Windows, Apple and Linux. The application also includes instant messaging and Internet voice phone capability for a full suite of communications options. “
Insights on Being Productive and Effective as an Individual
- Some thoughts on productivity: “I found that removing the mental and physical clutter from my life has greatly increased my personal productivity. Once the digital distractions were reduced to a minimum the quantity and quality of my work increase. Productivity is as much what you don’t do as what you do.“
- Work to impress yourself, not others. “Impressing other people should always be a side-effect of the way you live life, not the main goal. Aside from losing integrity, putting impressiveness first has other dangers. One is that it is harder to stay motivated if the reasons are only superficial.“
- There is enough time each day if you do one thing at a time. From Lord Chesterfield, “This steady and undissipated attention to one object, is a sure mark of a superior genius; as hurry, bustle, and agitation, are the never-failing symptoms of a weak and frivolous mind.” And from William James (1890), “The faculty of voluntarily bringing back a wandering attention, over and over again, is the very root of judgment, character, and will.“
Other Noteworthy Insights
- Cisco aims to reduce its carbon footprint by 25% by 2012 through greater reliance on telepresence and collaboration tools to reduce travel, and more energy efficient approaches. “The company will increase its use Cisco TelePresence and the Cisco WebEx suite of tools to reduce the need for business travel, which accounts for 27 percent of Cisco’s GHG footprint. As part of its commitment to the Clinton Global Initiative, Cisco has already decreased emissions from air travel by at least 10 percent per employee. Finally, Cisco will deploy its Cisco Connected Workspace solution in additional locations.“
Categories: Industry Updates