The People Part of Enterprise Collaboration and Virtual Teams
- Todd argues that the technology is 5% of the success equation. “and two others. The software is the only variable in the mix which means that the amount of training and education are the same. The level of internal marketing and branding are equal. We also build the same self-service environment, automate the business processes, and provide the same client-support. Finally, the level of integration services provided by an experienced staff of professionals. After 12 months, I am going to say the difference in the amount of content captured within the environment and the amount of usage will be less than a 5% difference. That is to say that the number of employees, the number of pages, the number of views, and the associated attached documents will be less than 5% different.” The big question: Why are we doing so little about the other 95%?
- The Leading Virtually team has been rethinking the value of virtual worlds for virtual team collaboration. The author looks at the opportunities available for supporting informal conversations that happen between structured collaboration events. “When these signals repeat over a period of time, they may contribute to the formation of an impression of you as someone who adheres to social norms and can be expected to carry out her/his role expectations and, thus, they may contribute to the formation of trust and collaboration within the team. “
- 16% of workers are hyper-connected to technology. “The survey of 2,400 people across North America, Europe, the Middle East, Asia Pacific, and Latin America also found that the so-called “hyperconnected” worker also use at least nine applications, such as instant messaging, text messaging, Web conferencing, and social networks, said IDC, the market research firm that conducted the study sponsored by network-equipment maker Nortel Networks.“
The Technology Trends of Enterprise Collaboration and Virtual Teams
- Notes 8.5 will have fewer icons in the Notes Mail template. “So, in Notes 8.5 you will see an Inbox that’s easier to scan, with 10 improved icons for mail message types. The biggest changes are removing the icon for read mail and using a blue star for unread mail. We also adjusted meeting workflow items so that the most time-dependent ones (e.g., new invitation, reschedules, cancellations) stand out and those that are not so time-dependant (e.g., an invitee has accepted your meeting) are subtler. No other changes were made to the icon grid.“
- QG Software added the ability to clone projects and tasks in 5pm. “With a single click you can duplicate an existing 5pm task or project (with or without its sub-tasks). The dates and status fields are automatically adjusted.“
- Mark dives into the details on colleagues, social distance and relevance in People Search in SharePoint. “MOSS provides some very powerful features to enable the new buzzword “social networking.” Discussions about these can be found pretty easily, and I give an overview of some tools near the end of this posting. But specifics about how some of the details work has been devilishly hard to find… until now. Through discussions with various people in-the-know, I’ve been able to assemble answers to common questions around People Search and MySite web parts.”
Insights on Being Productive and Effective as an Individual
- Keep focused at work, with Glen’s list of 16: (1) use offline tools, (2) take more breaks, (3) plan smaller tasks, (4) keep a steady pace, (5) stay focused on why you do what you do, (6) remember the computer is only a tool, (7) plan your day to a great level of detail, and more. “Focus is something that must be fought for. It’s not something that automatically switches on when you want to. You have to make sure your surroundings are perfect for working if you want to be focused.“
- Have too much to do? Devoting even a small amount of consistent focus to a goal can yield big results.
- Mark says that he is using a single piece of paper on his desk for his task list, and it is working very well. “I am currently having the most luck with a single sheet of paper placed in the center of my desk. I draw a line across the middle. The things above the the line are the things I must complete. The things below are the other items I think of during the day. I write big so I can only fit a finite number of items on the page. For right now this is working very well.” Nick has more reasons for switching to paper.
- Dave has one coaching point when the schedule you planned out blows up: keep on keeping on … not matter what.
- Midday nap = less chance of dying from heart disease.
- David’s new book, Making It All Work, will be available on December 30, 2008.
Other Noteworthy Insights
- Hacks and tricks to make Mac OS X Leopard work better.
- Review of the LiveScribe pen: Not there yet. See David Pogue.
- Writing in dark places? You need a pilot pen.
Categories: Industry Updates