Scenarios

Virtual Meetings: Design for Worst-Case Scenarios for Best Outcomes

Nancy Settle-Murphy from Guided Insights writes a monthly newsletter about effective virtual teams. In her newsletter for February, she writes about being prepared for the bad things that can derail virtual meetings:

Normally, I ascribe to the 80/20 rule when it comes to planning meetings or designing training. That is, I know I can’t possibly predict every single situation that might arise, so I do my best to anticipate what I think will happen 80% of the time for 80% of the participants. As far as the other 20% of the time — well, we just have to cross that bridge when we come to it.

In the land of virtual meetings, we don’t have very much time to cross that bridge before the entire meeting can go irredeemably off track. (The fact that we have no visual cues when things go awry makes it even harder to regroup and redirect the conversation.)

Nancy offers advice in five areas:
1. Technical difficulties, e.g., the passcode doesn’t work.
2. Time zone misunderstandings (the bane of virtual meetings!).
3. Uninvited guests.
4. What to do when people come unprepared.
5. Making people feel included.

Read Nancy’s advice at Anticipating Worst-Case Virtual Meeting Scenarios

(And if you don’t subscribe, you know what to do)

Categories: Scenarios