The People Part of Enterprise Collaboration and Virtual Teams
- One potential reason for the difficulty of embracing a wiki for team collaboration: we prefer to work alone. “Often I see very smart and highly competent people use what I call a divide-and-conquer method where one personal will call or interview the external contacts, a second will handle the records research, a third gets to manage the Excel spreadsheet and numbers, and the last person writes the report or slide deck. The work has been sliced in such a way that we prioritize getting the task done with as little individual investment as possible, and this ensures that we work alone rather than collaboratively. Only infrequently do we see a small group of people apply multiple sets of eyes to a common issue or concern. At times professionals appear to believe that we are accountable for the final product, but as for my role I will do this one task and largely go it alone.“
- A strategy for executives on how to kill SharePoint: (1) every site has to look the same, and (2) don’t permit users to make any changes. My question: What’s the fear? What concern or major issue of theirs has not been addressed? Records and compliance?
The Technology Trends of Enterprise Collaboration and Virtual Teams
- Xero integrated its online accounting application with Google Docs.
- One companies experience in its evolution on thinking with SharePoint: (1) SharePoint can do anything, let’s migrate everything, (2) SharePoint sucks, (3) “look at all of these cool WebParts I’ve written”, (4) SharePoint can do a lot more than people think, and (5) SharePoint is just a tool.
- Bruce is working on his next application for Notes/Domino, a link sharing tool, eg, social bookmarking. “LinkJam is the perfect solution for IBM Lotus Notes and Domino shops that want to explore social bookmarking but can’t afford IBM’s Lotus Connections. LinkJam is a pure IBM Lotus Domino application that you can have running on your existing Lotus infrastructure. No new hardware and no new software. It works with Domino 6.5.x, 7.x and 8.x. It just works.“
Insights on Being Productive and Effective as an Individual
- In the A-Z of Personal Productivity, V is for victories, for celebration of completion. “Now, I understand that if you stop to gaze out over the valley after every step it would be dark before you reach the summit; so the celebration should be roughly proportional to the task you’ve completed. Sometimes it’s enough of a kick just crossing things off your list, but if it’s a big project or something you’ve been working towards for a long time then you should acknowledge what you’ve completed and reward yourself with something special.“
- Start getting balanced in your life: Dave has a 15 minute a day plan to make it happen.
- Get going on something you don’t want to do: (1) put yourself in jail, (2) ask for help, (3) some decisions don’t require extensive research, (4) take a baby step, (5) do it first thing in the morning, and (6) protect yourself from interruption. On #6: “ How often have you finally steeled yourself to start some difficult project, only to be interrupted the minute you get going? This makes a hard task much harder. Carve out some time to work. Yesterday, I wanted to put a newsletter sign-up box on my blog. I figured this would be frustrating and time-consuming, so I waited to make the attempt when I knew I had two hours when I could work uninterrupted.“
Other Noteworthy Insights
- Why don’t companies track Windows downtime? “I would estimate that while working with Win XP I would spend minimum of 10% of my productive time solving WinXP issues. On a Mac maybe 1-2%. At least when a Mac crashes it just goes down quick and hard! but Apple have basically stuck to the Unix principle of keep it small and simple and let the combinations of different flexible programs tackle your problem. All this is a huge hidden cost for companies who would be aiming at 500k-1000k $USD per employee in terms of revenue. They should wake up and smell the coffee.“
Categories: Industry Updates